Sunday, July 15, 2012

Really A Suggestion Rather Than A Recipe

Sweet and Spicy Pineapple

Sweet and spicy pineapple with chilli powder

I love pineapple. I'm actually trying to decide if it's my favourite fruit, but it's competing with mango in my mind right now. Anyway, I love pineapple in many forms, and one of these forms is the dried pineapple sprinkled with sugar and chilli I used to have in Thailand. Unfortunately, this isn't something I've been able to find in Birmingham so I've tried recreating something similar using fresh pineapple. The results have been satisfying enough for me, so I thought I'd do a post on it.



Ingredients

  • 1 fresh pineapple
  • Chilli power or flakes, to taste
  • Sugar, to taste
  • Salt, to taste

Method
  • Chop up the pineapple into small triangles. Looking up an instructional Youtube video may be a good idea if you've never done this before.
  • Sprinkle on the chilli, sugar and salt and mix. The amounts of each ingredient depend entirely on the flavour you personally prefer, or how much heat you can tolerate. Additionally, chilli powder and chilli flakes each seem to give their own distinct flavour to the pineapple so experiment to find out what works best for you. 
  • Refrigerate and serve chilled.

Additional Notes
Pineapple doesn't really keep more than a day, even when refrigerated, so expect to be finishing this over two days at most. Also bear in mind it keeps better without the toppings mixed in, so always sprinkle these on just before serving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment