Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Change From All The Curry

Crêpes With Vanilla Syrup & Ice Cream

I'd eaten quite a bit of it before remembering I needed to take a picture...

I've actually lived in France, but funnily enough I don't remember ever trying a crêpe while I was there. For me, it was all about the the waffles with Nutella or the mushroom and cheese pizzas sold by the Eiffel Tower. It was only after moving to England for university that crêpes registered on my radar. I like the fact that you can fill it with anything, and it happens to remind me of a similar Bangladeshi dessert that I must hunt down the recipe for soon. 



This is the first post I'm putting up where I've done the cooking myself, along with my mom and little brother. The difference in the quality of the crêpes between the each of us is very obvious, as you'll see from the pictures below! And no, we didn't make the ice cream. Unfortunately. 

Also, note that I'm not sure if this is a genuine recipe, it's just something my mom remembers off the top of her head, and actual crêpes are quite possibly made very differently.

Ingredients (for the crêpes)
  • Makes 6
  • 1.50 cups flour
  • 25.00 g of butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 250.00 ml of water
  • 250.00 ml of milk
  • 3.00 tablespoons of sugar
  • 0.25 teaspoons of salt

Method (for the crêpes) 

  • Chop up the butter into little pieces, and rub into the flour and mix till the dough resembles breadcrumbs
  • Beat the eggs in a large bowl, and then add the milk and continue beating till mixed
  • Dissolve the sugar and salt into the water in another bowl, and add to the eggs and milk mixture
  • Fold in the flour and butter dough a little at a time, and mix till the batter is even
  • Let the batter stand for 1 hour
  • Heat a large, thin flat based pan with a little oil on medium heat
  • Scoop out some of the batter and pour onto the pan
  • Roll the pan to ensure that the batter is evenly distributed over the surface
  • Let the batter solidify and cook on one side (when it is done it should lift up easily with a spatula)
  • Flip the crêpe over, and cook on the other side for 30 seconds before removing from the heat
  • Repeat the process till all the batter is finished




The batter on the left, and the pan with oil on the right


Crepe frying...cooking?

  

Guess who made which one? :P

Ingredients (for the vanilla syrup)
  • 0.50 cups of brown sugar
  • 0.50 cups of water
  • 1.50 teaspoons of vanilla essence 

Method (for the vanilla syrup)
  • Mix the water and sugar in a small pot
  • Put the pot on the stove on low heat, and allow the sugar to slowly dissolve
  • Let the mixture bubble while heating, but do not bring to full boil
  • The mixture will reduce and thicken into a syrup-like consistency, usually within 10 to 15 minutes
  • The syrup is runny while hot, and so to determine the syrup's true consistency, spoon a tiny bit off and check it's thickness once it is cool
  • Take off the heat once the desired consistency is reached
  • Serve with crêpes and ice cream


The thinner hot syrup on the left, and the thicker cooled syrup on the right


4 comments:

  1. I think my mum uses a similar recipe (minus the salt) for "pancakes"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, so not genuine then huh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last one made your mother and the first one, yes, you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noo the first one was my little bro! Haha I made the middle one and yes, mom made the last one :P

    ReplyDelete