Saturday, April 30, 2016

No-Churn Ice Cream

নারিকেল ও লেবুর আইস ক্রিম
Lime & Coconut Ice Cream



Small servings - it is condensed milk & cream after all! 


I'm not sure why I made this ice cream. I felt I wasn't experimenting enough with my own recipes - and I guess this is the result. The methodology is adapted from a BBC Food no-churn ice cream recipe, which I've tried and tested before. The original is simply a combination of 400.00 g of condensed milk and 600.00 ml of whipped double cream, with other ingredients added to create various flavours. This makes a whopping 1 litre of ice cream, so I usually halve the recipe totals, which can be seen from the ingredients list below. 

This particular recipe is a slight modification, replacing half of the proscribed double cream with creamed coconut. This introduces the coconut flavour, as well as adding texture to the ice cream from the solid kernels. I'm quite happy with how this turned out, but note that the coconut flavour outshines the lime. Experiment by reducing the amount of creamed coconut, or by adding more lime zest. For a more intense lime flavouring, I would recommend opting for lime essence, as adding too much juice will turn the ice cream sour. Of course, there's no need to limit flavours to lime and coconut!

Ingredients:

  • 200.00 g sweetened condensed milk
  • 150.00 ml double cream
  • 75.00 g creamed coconut
  • Juice from 1 lime
  • Zest from 2 limes


Method:

All mixed and prepped for freezing


  • Mix the zest and lemon into the condensed milk
  • Dissolve the creamed coconut into 75.00 ml of boiling water, and let cool slightly
  • While the coconut is cooling, whip the double cream into stiff peaks
  • Fold the coconut and then the cream into the condensed milk
  • Pour into a freezer proof container, and freeze overnight
  • Take out a few minutes before serving for ease of scooping

Coconut & lime ice cream, ready to serve

Additional information:
I used a solid "creamed coconut" dissolved in water as that was what was available in the supermarket near me. 150.00 ml of liquid coconut milk may be a suitable substitute, though using the creamed coconut adds a certain texture from the solids. For other flavours, I would recommend combining fruit pulps, compotes etc. with double cream and condensed milk. I've also wondered whether melting chocolate into the cream and condensed milk mixture will work, though I haven't tried it as I'm not a fan of chocolate ice cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment